7.25.2008

Scallop Flower & Leaf Tutorial

I have decided to venture into the world of online tutorials. A very daunting endeavor indeed. So I decided that since I am a beginner at this that I would start with something easy. So here is my "Scallop Flower & Leaf tutorial". I first saw this technique at the 2007 Portland SU! Regionals (can't remember who showed it, but I will try to find it in my notes). I have seen lots of demos do the same technique (many who weren't at that event). Here is Patty Bennet's version of this card and flower.

So here is my Friend card that started this whole project, actually there is more to this card but that will have to wait until another post. I LOVE this card!!! I know, I know...I am a bit biased but I can't help it! You can't tell in the picture but the flowers and friend tag are popped up with dimensionals.



Recipe: DSP--Berry Bliss; CS--Very Vanilla, Pretty in Pink, Green Galore; Stamps--For A Friend (Hostess Set); Ink--Chocolate Chip, Pretty in Pink (Marker) & Green Galore (Marker); Embellisments--Staples & Pink Grosgrain Ribbon (non-SU!); Tools--Scallop Punch, 1 3/8" Punch & 3/4" Punch.

So here's how I made the adorable flowers:
1.) Punch a Scallop out of Cardstock.

2.) Take a pair of Paper Snips (large scissors will not work for this project) and very carefully cut between scallops (in the valleys) making a very narrow slit. Do this all the way around the scallop, this will create the "petals".

3.) Punch a 3/4" circle out of Cardstock for the center of the flower. I attached mine with a Stampin' Dimensional.

4.) Next punch a 1 3/8" circle out of cardstock. Take the circle and slip it back into the circle punch about halfway (this will give you an oval with two pointed ends). Punch it. Now you have a leaf. Repeat this with the other half of the circle.


5.) Attach your leaves to the back of the flower.

6.) Now you have an adorable 3-D flower to use for scrapbooking, cards, etc.


You probably noticed that my table seems a bit messy during this tutorial. Well, I made this card in an impromptu all-night stamping marathon with my mom. We got so busy creating that we just forgot about the mess and had fun. I thought I would share a bit of our "creative chaos" with you. Yes, believe it or not, we did get a lot accomplished despite the mess. I will post our big projects this week.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did a beautiful job on your tutorial! Great work!!

Love your card.
Diane

Laura said...

I love that you took the pictures with the mess all over the table. That's how mine looks all the time-lol!

Amy said...

That looks like my stamping table as I get going. I'm glad to see I'm not alone! I had fun poking around your blog. I found you through your post on SUDSOL. Have a great week!