4.21.2008

Creative Process

I just recently got asked this question. How do you come up with ideas for cards, etc.? A lot of different ways; here's a few:
1. I look in our Stampin' Up! Catalogs (especially to see what projects go with the particular stamp set I am using).
2. Other Stamping Blogs our a great resource for ideas as well. I am working on narrowing down my list of favorites to add to my sidebar.
3. My favorite place to look is the Split Coast Stampers Gallery. There are hundreds of pictures and ideas for almost all SU! stamp sets (retired and current). I CASE (Copy And Share Everything) a lot of ideas from cards I see there.

I don't generally stick to the exact card someone else has made though I usually modify it to fit my style. Or if I don't have the exact product that they used than I substitute it with something I have. Looking at the design of the project and coming up with the template is the first step. Usually if I am planning a class I look for ideas a few weeks early so I can cut and plan everything ahead of time. So I make a rough (very rough) sketch of the template I am making so I won't forget if I don't get to make the card right away. I put my "sketches" on index cards and have a small box where I keep them.

Once I have a template than I pick out the colors since I know how many colors I will need to do a template (1, 2, 3, 4, etc.). The rest kind of happens from there. If I am making a card I try to make at least two that way I will have extras to sell or give away when the occasion calls for it. So here are some pictures of my idea process. These two sketches are for my Stamp Club meeting next Tuesday.


No comments: